Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Regret

One shot is all you get.

No day can be relived. No moment can be reclaimed.

Regret and remorse are not a possibility, but a certainty. We are only human, after all.

I wonder what kind of regret it is easier to live with.

Regret that I did something, like a stupid choice, or a wrong decision. Regret that I went there and chose to say that, to release words of harshness, crudeness. Once I heard their icy hatred in the air, I knew I could never take them back.

That I formed a judgment against that person, without knowing their situation. That I treated them with the contempt and impatience of someone superior, clearly communicating that my estimation of my own value was far greater than theirs.

That I kept talking when I should have listened to her, because she was keeping it all inside. Or that I leapt when I should have paused, ignoring the voices in my head that told me to be still.

Or could it be that I will regret inaction. The times I didn’t pick up the phone and call. Maybe he wouldn’t have been so lonely if I had.

The questions I never thought to ask. I wonder what stories of my family’s past are lost forever, because they didn’t think I was interested in knowing.

The time I sat there motionless, observing the grief of loss. Even though I did not have the right words, nothing was the worst thing I could have done.

When I did not put anything in the offering plate as it passed. When I did not tip the waitress as much as she deserved. When I did not express my appreciation for what was given me, my respect for those who led me, my adoration beyond belief for those who think I am worth their investment.

One more “I love you” wouldn’t have been that hard to give.

Any kind of regret is difficult. But perhaps at the end of my life, I would prefer to know that I tried and failed, and crashed and burned.

Instead of sitting and waiting.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Beautiful and piercing thoughts, friend. My aunt once told me that "dread is a mean captor" - well regret is an even meaner one. The only thing that saves me from drowning in regret is the fact that I serve a God who redeems. I pray often, especially as an incredibly imperfect mother, that the Lord would somehow redeem the mistakes I've made with my precious daughters... somehow make beautiful the messy, imperfect, but very sincere, love I have for them. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, and your heart. I miss you and wish for you the very merriest of Christmases.